apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: libaprutil
Date Fri, 15 Dec 2000 21:51:41 GMT
Yes, I'd scream. Big.

Just pass --disable-shared to the libtool config. It will build the thing as
static at that point. This is easily done by passing the flag to Apache's
./configure (it will be replicated down to the sub-config). The problem with
this is that the Apache modules will then be built static. Whether that is a
problem or not... dunno. The underlying issue here is that we end up
building Apache as all-static or all-shared; probably not a big deal. It
would be quite complicated to create a scheme for passing different sets of
libtool config flags to the subdirs (apr and aprutil). Hmm. Actually, the
best way to do this is allow for the Apache config to *point* to an
*installed* APR and APRUTIL, rather than assuming they're in srclib/. The
user could then build/install them as they wish, then config/build Apache.

The reason it is built as shared is because libtool will build both shared
and static by default. The only reason APR doesn't build as shared is
because I haven't gone in there and libtool-ized the thing. APR needs to be
able to produce shared libraries, and the best way to do that is via
libtool.

Cheers,
-g

--