apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject src/ directory (was: Re: Showstoppers: Alpha 9)
Date Thu, 14 Dec 2000 11:10:30 GMT
On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 05:25:49PM -0800, fielding@ebuilt.com wrote:
> > > I would like to see more opinions on the src/ thing than myself, OtherBill,
> > > and Ryan. We should not proceed on *any* course of action without that. I
> > > suspect we will not have it resolved by tomorrow. I'm going to work on a
> > > bunch of the items for the release, but we should do something to get a
> > > write-up of the src-vs-not alternatives and get some more input.
>
> I think it is goofy to place a src directory in a source tree -- everything
> in the distribution is source.  If there are too many subdirectories, then
> either abstract them into relevant categories or split them into different
> library modules.

It isn't "a source tree". There is a lot more in the CVS repository than
just source. There are build mechanisms, documentation, test programs and
framework, public include areas, etc.

Categorization is quite difficult: consider APR's 15 source subdirs. How
could those possibly be grouped?

We've already split the conceptual "portability code" and "portable code"
into APR and APRUTIL respectively. But there are still a bunch of
sub-categories that defy further grouping.

The grouping that we *have* done (in APRUTIL, at least) is: build support,
public headers, documentation, testing code, and source code. I believe a
similar grouping makes sense within APR, too.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/