apr-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <cliffwool...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: cvs commit: apr-util STATUS
Date Sat, 09 Dec 2000 20:58:10 GMT

--- "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> How about a better example, a binary result filter from a known filetype.  E.g. we
> have this .gif image that we know from the header we will play with a certain
> range of bytes in the body, so ap_brigate_split_offset forward to that part.
> Certain .pdf manipulators could use this as well.

Yes, that's a much better example.  That's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking
about.  Whether it's the byterange filter or just some filter that similarly wants
to "fast-forward" to a certain predetermined location in the stream (or, conversely,
to take say the first 100 bytes and ditch the rest, like some kind of "preview"
filter or something), I can very easily see ap_brigade_split_offset being a useful
utility function.

> This is now apr-util, so it should be something generally useful outside of the
> server for other bucket brigade apps.

+1.

I'm going to go ahead with a patch to do as I proposed before (change from split_any
to brigade_split and delete copy_any).  We can debate it further later, of course,
since Ryan and Greg are out of pocket at the moment...

--Cliff