apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: apu_private and optional stuff (was: Re: cvs commit: apr-util/src/dbm apr_dbm.c)
Date Sat, 09 Dec 2000 07:26:12 GMT
On Sat, Dec 09, 2000 at 12:50:31AM -0600, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> So if we can agree that apr-util is a collection of many 'library' like features,
> none of which warrent a full blown library on their own, then I'm +1 to loose
> the src/ layer of apr-util, and let them pick and choose what 'librariettes'
> they need for their app.  And each of these little bits can have it's own purpose.

The sub-features and the src/ layout are *totally* independent. We can pick
pieces no matter how they are laid out. [in both cases, it is simply
modifying the set of subdirs in a makefile]

The src/ directory scales better to large numbers of features. APR has 15
separate function subdirs. That crowds the top-level quite a bit.

Want to know what the features are? Look in src/. No need to try and figure
out whether a directory is code or something else. Quick: what is the
images/ directory in APR? How about the lib/ directory? Does lib/ contain
code, or does it contain the output libraries? How about misc/?

Move them to src/ and it is abundantly clear. No question, no hesitation.

APRUTIL has just five subdirs: build, docs, include, src, and test. I will
bet that you can quickly and easily describe what is in each of those five
directories.

Cheers,
-g

--