apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: src/ directory (was: Re: apr-util comments)x
Date Thu, 07 Dec 2000 14:22:40 GMT
On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 08:01:14AM -0600, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> [...]

But that complexity is only seen by MSVC5 users, right? MSVC6 users aren't
going to have a problem mixing their DSP configurations?

> > Gotcha. So if we *were* to combine them, then we'd have four separate sets
> > of object files. Do we have four sets of objects today? (e.g. if you opened
> > both DSPs and compiled both Debug and Release)
>
> Two, we cheat.  The .lib is built on exported symbols (with the performance
> penalty and exported names).  The .dll just grabs the .lib.  And I did so
> simply to avoid maintaining two sets of file names.

hehe :-) ... if we combine the DSPs into one, then you could have optimized
DLLs/LIBs, and a single file list. The only penalty would be a bit of
complexity for MSVC5 users?

Personally, I'm willing to trade off MSVC5 users' (slight?) pain for the
benefit of a single DSP and more optimized builds.

And remember: an MSVC5 user can always revise the DSP that we ship.

> My real goal is to create the .dsp's from the makefile.in - Not sure how
> exactly at this moment, but I'm getting there.

Eek. I'm sure we could arrange something for APR and APRUTIL (presuming that
we simplify some of the APR makefiles using APRUTIL's rules.mk.in). However,
Apache is a big beast to compile and has more complicated makefiles. That
would be a whole separate system, I'd think.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/