apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr-util/src/dbm Makefile.in apr_dbm.c
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2000 08:35:00 GMT
On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 07:03:19PM -0800, rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> >   *) move building of aprutil.exports into the top-level Makefile so that we
> >      can use APR's directory (rather than needing to pass it to buildconf.sh)
>
> You can't do this.  We need this file when running buildconf in Apache,
> and it doesn't make any sense to do this each time we build apr-utils,
> because this is not a very fast operation, especially once we add more
> header files.

The file will only be built once. If you do a "make extraclean", then it
will need to be built again. If the thing is built once, then it shouldn't
really matter whether it is built at "buildconf.sh" or "make" time.

By moving it into the Makefile, we have access to the APR directory. The
parameter to buildconf.sh is a bit strange... our other buildconf scripts
don't do it (nor does autogen.sh in SVN). In some cases, APR can be found by
the configure script automatically, so nobody would need to pass a parameter
at any time to say where APR is located.

Regarding Apache: why isn't exports.c built at "make" time, too? I don't see
a need for that to be done at buildconf time either.

I'm more than happy to go punch Apache to move the construction of exports.c
into "make" time rather than buildconf time. By doing it at make time, we
can also create dependencies on the APR and APRUTIL export files. Thus, if
we are doing some coding in APR(UTIL) and change the exports, Apache will
automatically update (rather than needing to wait for somebody to run
buildconf again).

Your thoughts?

Cheers,
-g