apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr-util Makefile.in
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2000 03:01:57 GMT
> > We have three levels of cleaning that need to be expressed:
> >
> > 1) clean out the .o files [before rebuilding]
> > 2) clean out the results of running ./configure (restore everything to the
> >    same point that you unpacked apache.org/dist/aprutil-1.0.tar.gz)
> > 3) return to the point right after a CVS checkout
>
> Step 2 does not exist in Apache as it now stands, and nobody has been
> clamoring for it so far.  It has never existed AFAICS.

distclean is a GNU standard.  Automake defines mostlyclean, clean,
distclean, and maintainer-clean.  Apache 1.x has used that definition
since March of 1998.  I have no idea what the state is now, but if
it doesn't match the GNU definition then it most certainly is a bug.
The reason we are using configure is to be consistent with all of
the other open source projects using configure, making it easy to
write install scripts and RPMs.

....Roy