apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr-util Makefile.in
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2000 02:14:04 GMT
On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 04:38:27PM -0800, rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> > We have three levels of cleaning that need to be expressed:
> >
> > 1) clean out the .o files [before rebuilding]
> > 2) clean out the results of running ./configure (restore everything to the
> >    same point that you unpacked apache.org/dist/aprutil-1.0.tar.gz)
> > 3) return to the point right after a CVS checkout
>
> Step 2 does not exist in Apache as it now stands, and nobody has been
> clamoring for it so far.  It has never existed AFAICS.

As a few people have mentioned, "distclean" (type (2)) is pretty common (Roy
mentioned rsync, I'll chime in with Python, Neon, Berkeley DB, PHP, Python's
MySQL interface, and all automake-based projects such as Subversion).

And I *do* see that Apache has (2) and it is called "distclean". :-)

> As for step 3, I would be much happier with an external program like
> cvsclean.

We only have about six files in the whole tree to deal with (3). I went for
the simple, straightforward approach.

> > I believe that we *do* need these three types of cleaning. Does this make
> > sense to you?
>
> Sure.  I am still not convinced that we need all three, and regardless, we
> shouldn't be duplicating files, so pleast fix that.

As I mentioned in my previous reply... we are not duplicating any files in
those lists.

I presume that your note implies your veto is lifted?

Thanks,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/