apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr-util Makefile.in
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2000 00:39:56 GMT
On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 12:22:02AM +0100, Sascha Schumann wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Dec 2000 rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> >
> > >   Modified:    .        Makefile.in
> > >   Log:
> > >   aprutil in the "distribution" form does not want to remove configure or
> > >     aprutils.exports (these two files are part of the distribution and users
> > >     cannot typically regenerate them). But the developers' "extraclean" target
> > >     will do it.
> >
> > WHAT!?!?!?!  Distclean is meant to bring us back to what we had when we
> > did a "cvs checkout".
>
>     Actually, you'd use cvsclean for that (dunno where it is
>     today, before the move it was in src/helpers).
>
>     Since this has come up several times in the past, here is the
>     definition of distclean, as commonly agreed upon:
>
>         The target distclean is intended to remove all files
>         which were created by configuring or building the
>         program.

Right... that is how distclean was implemented in aprutil.

"extraclean" is the "return to the bare originals (e.g. cvs checkout)". I
made the extra deletions explicit rather than relying on cvsclean and the
.cvsignore files. Going the explicit route was quite fine (and much more
understandable) since there are only about a half-dozen files produced by
"buildconf.sh" that needed to be removed.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/