apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr-util Makefile.in
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2000 00:03:09 GMT
We have three levels of cleaning that need to be expressed:

1) clean out the .o files [before rebuilding]
2) clean out the results of running ./configure (restore everything to the
   same point that you unpacked apache.org/dist/aprutil-1.0.tar.gz)
3) return to the point right after a CVS checkout

Everybody would use (1). People downloading and using aprutil will use (2).
As developers with autoconf and libtool installed on our systems, we will
sometimes use (3); end users are not expected to ever use (3).

"make clean" corresponds to (1) and is the typical cleaning.
"make distclean" is the "return to a clean distribution"
"make extraclean" clears out that extra bit of stuff from running the
   buildconf.sh script.

Note that "distclean" implies "clean" and that "extraclean" implies all of
them. You won't have to duplicate file names. (the diff below is a bit
confusing, but there are no duplicate files listed)

I believe that we *do* need these three types of cleaning. Does this make
sense to you?

[ I will also volunteer myself to add docco in docs/ about the different
  build targets and variables; so that (hopefully) we won't have to go over
  this again in a year :-) ]

Cheers,
-g

Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/