apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr-util Makefile.in
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2000 23:37:08 GMT
> WHAT!?!?!?!  Distclean is meant to bring us back to what we had when we
> did a "cvs checkout".  If you just want to clean your directory use make
> clean, not make distclean.  This is the exact same syntax and rules that
> Apache and APR have always used.  AFAIK, this is basically a standard and
> we shouldn't be re-inventing things.
>
> -1

No, distclean means "clean the directories in preparation of a release."
For example, the one for rsync does

   distclean: clean
        rm -f config.h config.cache config.status Makefile

I have seen "reallyclean" used as a target to remove all generated
files, but it isn't a standard either.  extraclean seems fine.

....Roy