apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: apr-util comments
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2000 20:29:18 GMT
On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 11:00:24AM -0800, Cliff Woolley wrote:
> 1) I assume that the ap_* prefix on files/etc hasn't been changed to apr_* yet
> simply to ease the transition to httpd-2.0, and that the namespace change will come
> in a later pass.  Right?

Yup. I'm not sure what the strategy for this will be, though, since changing
a bunch of #includes throughout Apache will be a fair amount of work.

Second pass will be introducing a compatibility header and doing the rename
of the functions/macros/types.

We also have some other tweaky things such as the HOOK macros. You may have
noticed that Ryan had to undo the APR rename. I haven't looked into it, but
I bet it was because we don't have all the right APR_DECLARE macro magic
available. Could have also been that he didn't want to change all of the
users of the macros :-)

> 2) Shouldn't src/encoding/ap_sha1.c really go in src/crypto/?  SHA1 is a hashing
> algorithm, not an encoding algorithm.  Right?

Yes and yes. I saw this when Ryan first checked the stuff in, but didn't get
to it until just now (had a visitor staying here last night and didn't get
any work done)

> 3) Might the src/buckets directory want to be called src/data (hmm... maybe
> confusing) or src/datastructures (hmm... kind of long) or something like that?
> (Somebody please think of a more concise name than I have.)  I'm trying to
> anticipate where it is that tables/hashes/whatever would go if/when they get moved
> out of APR.  This sort of follows as a simplification of my suggestion last week
> that the data structures could stand alone as a separate library beneath APR.

I'd say it should just stay as buckets. That is a big enough topic, that it
should probably remain its own subdir. If we move the basic data structures,
then we can add a new subdir.

Cheers,
-g

--