apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: cvs access for httpd group
Date Mon, 04 Dec 2000 09:18:31 GMT
> In Subversion, our analogue to "buildconf" checks for the foreign-project
> subdirectories. If they aren't there, an error message is printed out
> describing where/how to get that subdir and install it.
>
> If the auto-checkout modules thing doesn't work, then we can always have
> buildconf check for the apr directory and punt if it doesn't find it.

I think we will need to do that.  The problem with ampersand modules
is that they naturally assume that both modules are owned by the same
groups.  If we use one within httpd for apr, then we are assuming that
everyone doing a writable checkout of httpd should also have a writable
apr.  As much as I believe that is true now, I'd hate to have to manage
it going forward.  If we used the -R freebsd thing that Brian mentioned,
then it forces httpd people to have a read-only apr tree even when they
do have write access to apr.

So, it seems to me that the best method is the buildconf check,
allowing the developer to choose where they get their apr.

Of course, it also means someone in the know will have to add it.

....Roy