apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: APRUTIL prefix
Date Sat, 02 Dec 2000 23:09:37 GMT
On Sat, Dec 02, 2000 at 02:58:15PM -0800, rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> > > I would suggest we just use APR.  This is the APR utility library, and it
> > > makes sense in my mind to use the same prefix.
> >
> > Hmm. We would then need to coordinate across the two libraries. A bit of a
> > possible headache.
>
> But the whole point of apr-utils is that it doesn't have the same
> functions as APR.  If there is ever a time that the two libraries have
> this problem, then something is already horribly wrong.

Excellent point!

> > > I would suggest doing what APR does, which is to put the compat header in
> > > the library's include directory.
> >
> > Well, I think that was a bit different. There were potentially other users
> > of the APR functions by that point. By including that header in APR, it was
> > saying "we changed our names, but will provide this header for you."
> >
> > APRUTIL *starts* with a new set of names, and Apache is the person who needs
> > to compensate.
> >
> > In other words, there are no APRUTIL users other than Apache that are
> > affected by the rename. Any third-party Apache modules will have the
> > "compat" header available via Apache.
>
> I disagree, as somebody who regularly takes functions from Apache and uses
> them in my own code, I am going to convert my projects to use apr-utils
> ASAP, which means either I need to duplicate the header file or change my
> code.  I will change my code quickly, but others would probably choose to
> duplicate the header for a while.  We solve this problem by putting the
> header with the library.

I guess this viewpoint could simply be described as "these functions have a
real history (which we also try to preserve in CVS), and we renamed them
during the incorporation into APRUTIL. For the benefit of historical users,
we will provide a compatibility header."

That said, I'm +0 on placing the header into aprutil itself.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/