apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: use of libtool
Date Sat, 02 Dec 2000 23:05:48 GMT
On Sat, Dec 02, 2000 at 02:59:03PM -0800, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> > Nope. The .so files are standard .so files. Anybody can use and link against
> > them, just like every other .so file.
>
> Okay, my comments came from reading the libtool manual,

Hey... nobody can dis you for reading the manual. Most of us don't. :-)

> but if you have real-world experience with this,

Insofar as working on Subversion for the past five/six months, which also
uses libtool. That wouldn't be a big deal, but I had to wrestle with
integrating Neon and Expat(-lite) into the build, and figuring out how to
properly set up the linking against those (embedded) libs. The other
suicide-inducing involvement with libtool was trying to get a module built
and installed into Apache (as both static-link and dynamic-load). The latter
is why I believe Apache could possibly simplify module writers' experiences
by using something that only builds DSOs (rather than full shared libs).

> lets just use libtool.

Coolness.

Any other concerns out there, people?

Cheers,