apr-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: APRUTIL prefix
Date Sat, 02 Dec 2000 22:44:21 GMT
On Sat, Dec 02, 2000 at 02:36:35PM -0800, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> 
> > After I checked in the stuff last night, I realized that "apu_config.h" was
> > probably using the "wrong" prefix.
> 
> I would suggest we just use APR.  This is the APR utility library, and it
> makes sense in my mind to use the same prefix.

Hmm. We would then need to coordinate across the two libraries. A bit of a
possible headache.

> > Note that Apache 2.0 will need to include a header in src/include/ which
> > maps the old names it knows/uses for the functions/type over to the new
> > names. (I don't think that renaming goes in aprutil itself since the naming
> > problem is just for Apache)
> 
> I would suggest doing what APR does, which is to put the compat header in
> the library's include directory.

Well, I think that was a bit different. There were potentially other users
of the APR functions by that point. By including that header in APR, it was
saying "we changed our names, but will provide this header for you."

APRUTIL *starts* with a new set of names, and Apache is the person who needs
to compensate.

In other words, there are no APRUTIL users other than Apache that are
affected by the rename. Any third-party Apache modules will have the
"compat" header available via Apache.

Cheers,
-g

-- 
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Mime
View raw message