apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: cvs access for httpd group
Date Sat, 02 Dec 2000 02:14:19 GMT
On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 05:27:06PM -0800, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, Fielding, Roy wrote:
> > > Not true.  You can use the '-R' flag to CVS to make it a read-only
> > > non-locking checkout, or you can check it out via anoncvs.
> >
> > Hmmm, never heard of that... I'll see if it works with ampersand modules.
> > Though I still think it would be better to just give everyone in httpd
> > access to apr.  Lowers the entry barrier.

In Subversion, our analogue to "buildconf" checks for the foreign-project
subdirectories. If they aren't there, an error message is printed out
describing where/how to get that subdir and install it.

If the auto-checkout modules thing doesn't work, then we can always have
buildconf check for the apr directory and punt if it doesn't find it.

> True; my response was something of a knee-jerk to a request to change our
> standard mode of operation (and expanding permissions to a much larger
> group of people) due to what seemed to be a usage-related bug.  Also if
> the expectation for the future was that being in the "httpd" group was
> going to mean automatic privs on the "apr" group,

I'd like to state that I don't have that expectation. If somebody is added
to httpd, then they don't necessarily have apr privs. Certainly, there will
always be a predisposition in the ASF to allow any committer to be added to
any project (and especially from httpd -> apr (not the other way! :-)), but
I don't think it is automatic (nor should it be).

> Of course, if apr had been a
> codebase under the httpd project, there wouldn't be a problem with
> this.  =)

Don't make us have to break your legs, Brian :-)

Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

View raw message