apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject RE: new APR package
Date Mon, 11 Dec 2000 18:09:36 GMT

Problem - if the module is 'nested', it becomes very hard to 'exclude'
just a portion, such as iconv.

Likewise, apr-util may become rather large in and of itself.  If an
author is interested -only- in portability, they check out apr.  If they
want our idea of great stuff, they also grab apr-util.  If they need a
portable iconv, they grab apr-iconv.  If they don't care, they can ignore
the issues.

The only -other- option would have been (in 20/20 hindsight that none
of us is blessed with) an empty top level apr, with core, util, iconv,
and any one of a number of sub-libraries, of which any set could be
layered on core.  Since that isn't the module's structure, this is what
we've got.