apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject RE: src/ directory (was: Re: apr-util comments)x
Date Thu, 07 Dec 2000 14:01:14 GMT

Whatever, yes, Apache is a good example of prog, so is ab, or anything that
is built on apr.  And yes, the suffix defines the model.

> In MSVC5, is it possible to change what occurs after the "-"? In other
> words, could we have "Apache - Win32 Debug DLL" meaning to link against DLLs
> and "Apache - Win32 Debug Lib" to statically link everything? (e.g. no mixed
> types unless somebody wants to set up their own DSP files)

This could be nicer, yes.  But it adds complexity to the apps users create
based on our package.

> Gotcha. So if we *were* to combine them, then we'd have four separate sets
> of object files. Do we have four sets of objects today? (e.g. if you opened
> both DSPs and compiled both Debug and Release)

Two, we cheat.  The .lib is built on exported symbols (with the performance
penalty and exported names).  The .dll just grabs the .lib.  And I did so
simply to avoid maintaining two sets of file names.

> My basic motivation here is that the number of DSPs and build targets and
> outputs has always been a bit confusing to me. I'm seeking a way to simplify
> / reduce the system.

You and I both :-)

My real goal is to create the .dsp's from the makefile.in - Not sure how
exactly at this moment, but I'm getting there.