apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject The iconv solution?
Date Fri, 08 Dec 2000 15:18:18 GMT
Suggestion,

  It's impossible to maintain the whole of iconv within the apr tree,
the thing is just too big and harms folks who already have it installed.
But, since this is a bsd thing that we need to make more portable, I'm
suggesting we institute its own apr-iconv repository.

  Long term, I'd like to see a portable implementation of the build for
xlate/iconv/lib housed in apr, that can be statically linked into apr.
This would eliminate a bunch of code and portability questions.  But the
ces and ccs modules, as folks want them, should be checked out of
apr-iconv, since they shouldn't pose portability concerns (or can be
patched if they do).

  If this is agreeable, I'd let someone create the apr-iconv cvs and I'll
move the sources over there.  I'd like to do this today, before we roll.

Bill