apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject RE: make_export.awk
Date Sat, 16 Dec 2000 21:20:04 GMT

Do we?  For what?  I couldn't care less which 'free intepreter' we use.
Perl is a matter of convenience for Win32 to rewrite .dsp's.  I'd expect
a greater number of users to be familiar with perl than awk, but that's
probably neither here nor there.

> Unless there is a really good reason to change this to awk, I would much
> rather use Perl.  That is a -1 (vote not veto) for the awk version.  I
> would also point out that we have always expected developers to have Perl
> installed on their machines, and people who download the binary will not
> need it.

Actually this brings up a huge issue.  I'm currently battling rewrites in
the Windows .msi installer, trying to make a 'native' extension for this
job, or we will have to bundle 1. our own rewriter, or 2. someone else's
rewriter.  If we bundle gnu awk, we just fell into a deep pit we aren't
going to succeed in crawling out of :-(