apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <trawi...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: controlling the flavor of lock used by APR
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2000 19:42:28 GMT
Greg Ames <gregames@raleigh.ibm.com> writes:

> Jeff Trawick wrote:
> > AFAIK, this says that if have_union_semun is set, we'll use SysV
> > semaphores.  But have_union_semun is rarely set since it is up to the
> > program to define union semun.
>
> I'm getting APR_USE_FCNTL_SERIALIZE on Linux...thought we wanted SYSVSEM
> for 2.2 kernels per a recent post.  Sounds like you're on to the source
> of the bogus-ity.

I don't think the current code in configure.in is trying to choose
SysV sems for Linux 2.2 kernels.

As far as the current code to check for when to use SysV sems, I think
we should:

1) change the test to check for the presence of semctl() or semop(),
   not the presence of union semun

2) move the AC_IFALLYES() for USE_SYSVSEM_SERIALIZE to a point *after*
   the fcntl() check since fcntl() is what we have used in the past on
   almost all platforms and IMHO we should keep using it except for
   platforms where we have specific information represented in hints.m4

As far as Linux 2.2, I think we should:

1) Add APR_SETIFNULL(apr_lock_method, [USE_SYSVSEM_SERIALIZE]) to the
   Linux 2.2 section of lib/apr/hints.m4

          Born in Roswell... married an alien...