apr-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: i18n on Win32
Date Sun, 19 Nov 2000 15:59:37 GMT

>   We can port and drop in iconv-1.1, iconv-extra-1.1, and iconv-rfc1345-1.1
> by Konstantin Chuguev from FreeBSD.  License of sources is essentially
> compatible, but includes the advertising clause, requiring that we cite him
> and include the disclaimer (which is essentially our own disclaimer.)

We have other code in Apache that includes the licensing clause.  Although
we haven't added any since we removed our own licensing clause.  :-(

>   The other/better alternative would be IBM's ICU package, but it isn't going
> to be a direct and simple thing, since I find no charset <-> charset funcs,
> only conversion into and out of Unicode.  The IBM Public License, of course,
> is more compatible and doesn't contain the advertising clause.  I would also
> put more faith into IBM and the ICU colaborators' efforts to have their tables
> right, and correct and expand them very quickly.

I don't know if I agree with the correctness argument.  Remember FreeBSD
is VERY popular in other countries, so I suspect that those tables are
always up-to-date.  It looks like a real problem that you can't do
charste <-> charset translation with ICU.  But, I don't have much
experience or interest in i18n right now, so I may be making too big a
deal out of this.

>   Implementing xlate within ICU is probably no great challenge, and ICU is
> already ported to Win32, so does anyone care, or should I stay with iconv?

My own opinion is that you know what you are doing, please do what is best
for the code.  :-)  Nobody else has done your research on these options,
so we are likely not the best people to ask this question of.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131