apr-dev mailing list archives

From Karl Fogel <kfo...@galois.collab.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr/threadproc/win32 proc.c
Date Mon, 27 Nov 2000 17:17:01 GMT
rbb@covalent.net writes:
> We are asking for data that is const char * const *, but passing in
> char * const * data.  This causes incompatible pointer type warnings when
> compiling Apache.

In that case, it seems appropriate to cast the data being passed in --
adding more const is always okay.

(Yes, it's true, I have been totally, yea willingly, brainwashed by
Greg Stein. :-) )

> APR is actually not complaining, but it does seem a bit odd to me that we
> are asking for stricter access than the underlying functions we are
> using.  One of the arguments made for this commit was that we may actually
> get const data, so we had better be sure that we treat it as const.  I
> disagree.  If we are given const data, then we have a problem, because
> POSIX doesn't state that the C Run-Time won't change the data underneath
> us.
>
> We NEED to match POSIX in this, and require char *const * data.

Ah, yes.  If the underlying functions aren't promising that, then we
can't either.  Too bad.

(Somehow I suspect that they never do change the data, and that their
prototypes are just because someone was being loose, but we can't know
that with certainty, I suppose.)

Okay.  I withdraw my (only implied) +1 on adding the consts. :-)

-K