apr-dev mailing list archives

From Karl Fogel <kfo...@galois.collab.net>
Subject Re: Splitting APR from Apache.
Date Thu, 16 Nov 2000 19:21:41 GMT
Do a "cvs tag" in apache before removal and after removal, I think.

You probably already know to check the perms and ownership after you
cp, since repositories are so sensitive to that.  Might want to save
an "ls -lR" of the original apache apr dir somewhere for reference,
before you do anything. :-)

Also:

> 2)  On remote machine
> 	cd apache-2.0/src/lib/
> 	cvs rm -R apr
> 	cvs commit apr
>
> 	cd
> 	cvs co apr
> 	cp -R apr apache-2.0/src/lib
> 	cvs import apr

So we'd maintain two separate repositories for APR, one in Apache's
repos, one in APR's own dedicated repos, and keep them in sync
manually?  You probably want to do a vendor branch in that case.

Another solution is what Subversion does: developers simply check out
APR into a subdir of the Subversion project.  This means they are
always working with an APR that's directly from the APR master
repository, which is usually what you want.

For distributions, you package them together of course, and maybe use
a date or tag in APR to make sure that Apache doesn't continue to
follow new APR development even while Apache is frozen for release.

If you're going to expect people to remove and recheckout their APR
subdir every week or so anyway, then this way is probably best.  If
you don't want to track APR dev so closely, then a vendor branch is
probably best.

-K