apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr apr_common.m4 hints.m4
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2000 21:48:52 GMT
Greg Stein wrote:

> > > I see that this came from apr/hints.m4, but I don't understand what it is
> > > really doing here. What is this extra magic?
> > >
> > > AFAIK, all we need to do is set the variables, and that is that. No fancy
> > > export or anything.
> >
> > Unfortunately, as Jim found when he first did this stuff, Autoconf doesn't
> > use the EXTRA_* variables, so this is a bit of a hack.
>
> Ah. I think I understand. Wouldn't the above be simpler and more obvious if
> we wrote it like:
>
> AC_DEFIN(APR_DOEXTRA, [
>   CFLAGS="$CFLAGS $EXTRA_CFLAGS"
>   EXTRA_CFLAGS=""
>   LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS $EXTRA_LDFLAGS"
>   EXTRA_LDFLAGS=""
>   LIBS="$LIBS $EXTRA_LIBS"
>   EXTRA_LIBS=""
> ])
>
> Presuming the above works as expected, then I'd like to change the code.

I need to check what it's being done for, but the reason for the
exports and the evals is because you need to "protect" the use of
the vars until you actually need to use them. Recall that autconf
simply cuts and pastes, so it will see what they are defined as
at that time, and use those values. The evals' are there to
ensure that happens. The exports were to make sure that any sub-configures
picked up the changes, something we most likely need in APR anyway
(eg: MM?). I don't think the above will work, at least it won't in
the original way we were using it.