apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject new APR package
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2000 01:31:57 GMT
Okay... we seem to have some general agreement to make a "non-core" APR
package that contains the "purely portable" items. With that in mind, here
are my rough ideas/notes on this:

*) create a new CVS module: /home/cvs/aprutil
   [ other suggested names? aprkitchensink? :-) ]
   [ I'll refer to it as APRUTIL for this message's purposes... ]

*) populate with a simple autoconf system that merely asks where APR headers
   are. Since APRUTIL relies on APR for all portability items, and it
   doesn't really have any options, it should not require a complicated
   autoconf. Oh... if apu_dbm moves there, then it has a DBM selection
   switch; that could just be shifted from Apache's autoconf.
   [ hmm. presuming XML tools go in here, then some autoconf magic to point
     at an installed Expat; note: this would be an opportune time to drop
     expat-lite and just use the new Expat 1.95 package ]

*) I propose that it contains a number of packages/subsystems from APR and
   Apache. The Apache portions are listed in:
     http://www.apache.org/websrc/viewcvs.cgi/apache-2.0/src/lib/aputil/README

   The APR portions would be MD5. *maybe* arrays and tables. (hashes must
   stay because of their use in pools; pools stay because APR uses them)
   [ what other pieces of APR are portable? (when built on APR) ]

*) each of the functional groups go into subdirs. overall package could look
   like:

     aprutil/
         build/                 build tools
         docs/
	 include/
         src/
	     buckets/           Apache bucket system
	     crypto/            cryptographic hashing/tools (MD5, SHA1, etc)
	     dbm/               DBM covers
	     encoding/          base64 encoding
	     hooks/             loosely-coupled, typesafe hooks
	     uri/               URI parsing/management
	     xml/               XML tools (ap_xml, plus some SVN stuff)
	     ??? what else
	 test/

*) we'd use autoconf for config, and libtool for shared lib building.
   automake is a maybe.

*) APRUTIL committers == APR committers. managed by the APR PMC.

I think that's all that I've got. Thoughts? Comments?

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/