apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: SHA1 and Base64
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2000 03:29:29 GMT
On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 04:26:46PM -0800, rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> The new-httpd group has discussed putting SHA1 and Base 64 encoding
> schemes into APR.  This has met with some resistance in the past, but it
> really needs to be discussed and decided here.  So, can these go in the
> passwd directory of APR?

<IMO>

They do nothing for portability. They should go into the new "aputil"
library in Apache. If we see a big demand for utility functions (rather than
portability stuff), then we can extract aputil.

</IMO>

Heck, I never thought the inclusion of MD5 was appropriate. That has nothing
to do with portability either, and the other parts of APR don't need it.
About the only reason is that the MD5 code does translation at the same
time. But that is still just a layer on top of APR... nothing in APR uses
MD5 itself.

(hashes, tables, arrays are portable, but APR itself needs those)

This all falls back to the "portability vs. utility" argument.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/