apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: iconv features
Date Tue, 21 Nov 2000 23:43:23 GMT
On Tue, Nov 21, 2000 at 03:21:50PM -0800, rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> > http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/icu/project/index.html?dwzone=opensource
> >
> >              iconv                              ICU
> > flexible     No, that's all it does             Yes, knows locales, etc
> > License      BSD w/advertising clause           IBM Public License
> > Size         Fairly large, w/extra&rfc1345      Absolutely huge
> > any<>any     Yes, there is a x<unicode>y thunk  No - we need to code
it
> > portability  No, this is a BSD implementation   Yes - it's already ported
> > pure c       Yup                                Nope, has cpp mixed in
>
> I dislike the addition of cpp, for the very reasons that we have never let
> any cpp into the server itself.

Ditto.

And we might also want to consider redistributing iconv from our site, and
teach APR how to use it if available.

Considering that iconv is already available on some platforms (didn't
somebody say recent glibc?), it makes some sense to not ship it as part of
APR. Or, in other words, since APR already needs to know how to find it if
available, then we can simply say "that feature is enabled if you also
install <that> package, available form apache.org/dist/".

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/