apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Hudson <ghud...@MIT.EDU>
Subject Re: RFC on interface change to apr_getopt_long()
Date Mon, 20 Nov 2000 21:43:23 GMT
> Currently, one must path *both* a short-options string and an array
> of apr_getopt_long_t structures to apr_getopt_long().

There's no redundancy here (short options aren't currently specified
in the long options array), but I suppose we could easily shoehorn
short options into the long options structure by assuming that any
option with a single-character name is a short option.

(Just to be clear, short options and long options are specified
differently on the command line.  "-abc" is three short options,
unless -a or -b takes an argument; "--abc" is one long option.)

> I have a feeling the current interface is due to the implementation:

Nope.  (I designed the interface, and paid no attention to the planned
implementation.)