apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Web Sites/CVS repositories
Date Wed, 15 Nov 2000 01:06:11 GMT
On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 04:14:51PM -0600, Karl Fogel wrote:
> Is there a reason for keeping apr-core and apr-site separate?

There are things discussed on the PMC that (conceivably) should not be in
the wide public. Specifically, discussions about specific people.

> Everything that's currently in STATUS, I would imagine should be on
> the web site...

Agreed. I easily see that stuff simply moving over. The apr-core/STATUS
file, however, is a nice place to track the initial startup issues for the
PMC.

In the long-term, I would expect the apr-core/STATUS file to be quite empty.
Heck, I can't even think of what else would be in the apr-core repository
beyond the STATUS file.

But: we probably still need a CVS repository for the "behind the scenes"
stuff, much like the need for a mailing list.

> Can we combine them?  Perhaps into a subdir of the main apr project
> (i.e., the code itself)?  Or is it important that some things be kept
> private.

I could easily see making the website a subdirectory of the PMC repository.
For example:

apr-core/
   private/
   www/

And then we pull apr-core/www/ into locus:/www/apr.apache.org

Hrm. That doesn't work. Any Committer should probably have access to both
apr-site/ and apr/. Only PMC members have the apr-core/ repository access.
Unless we start getting funky with groups and unix perms on locus, it is a
bit difficult to combine the two modules because of the disjoint
authorization. (currently, all three APR CVS modules use the "apr" group).

I might see a way to combine apr/ and apr-site/, but that could lead to some
confusion.

> I'm just trying to avoid having a plethora of tiny little working
> copies lying around, always trying to remember which one contains
> which kind of information. :-)

Understood, but I think we do have a necessary/proper division.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/