apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject iconv features
Date Tue, 21 Nov 2000 23:06:43 GMT
Q to the lists;

  our existing charset translation is based on iconv.  Based on
that, I dropped iconv into the repository, and Jeff, Ryan and I
rearranged after that.

  Looking deeply into this, I'm bringing up ICU once again.  It
has several side-issues, but I believe we would be better off basing
our conversions on this package.  See:

http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/icu/project/index.html?dwzone=opensource

             iconv                              ICU
flexible     No, that's all it does             Yes, knows locales, etc
License      BSD w/advertising clause           IBM Public License
Size         Fairly large, w/extra&rfc1345      Absolutely huge
any<>any     Yes, there is a x<unicode>y thunk  No - we need to code it
portability  No, this is a BSD implementation   Yes - it's already ported
pure c       Yup                                Nope, has cpp mixed in

  We need to do one of two things.  If we are going to use iconv, I will
adapt it for apr (especially data types and dso support!)  If we are going
to use ICU, I need to write the any <> unicode <> any layer that emulates
iconv behavior.  The apr'ized implementation obviously belongs in APR.
Does ICU?  I don't have an answer.

Submitted for your consideration and comments,

Bill