apex-users mailing list archives

From "McCullough, Alex" <Alex.McCullo...@capitalone.com>
Subject Re: Round Robin Partitioning with Dynamic Partitioning
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2016 16:53:27 GMT
Thanks Ram.

If I didn’t want dynamic partitioning and just round robin on a fixed # of partitions, can
it just be set through a property? If so, what is the property?

From: Munagala Ramanath <ram@datatorrent.com>
Date: Friday, August 12, 2016 at 12:50 PM
To: "users@apex.apache.org" <users@apex.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Round Robin Partitioning with Dynamic Partitioning

Alex,

Please take a look at: https://github.com/DataTorrent/examples/blob/master/tutorials/dynamic-partition/src/main/java/com/example/dynamic/Gen.java

It shows an operator that implements both the Partitioner and the StatsListener interface.
The processStats() method of the latter interface checks the number of emitted tuples from
the argument
and, if the count exceeds 500, it sets the number of partitions to MAX_PARTITIONS (which is
4).
The number of partitions initially starts out at 2.

The definePartitions() method of the former interface checks the desired number of partitions
and
if it differs from the current partition count, it performs a dynamic repartition. If you
turn on DEBUG,
you should see log messages at some of these steps.

Naturally, this is a contrived example to illustrate how to exercise the functionality.

Let me know if any of this is not clear or if you have further questions.

Ram

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 9:36 AM, McCullough, Alex <Alex.McCullough@capitalone.com<mailto:Alex.McCullough@capitalone.com>>