apex-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Sasha Parfenov <sas...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Questions regarding Apache Apex
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2016 21:09:18 GMT
Amol,

Integrating with a web application doesn't mean running Apex within your
application.  Although it can be done in the local (development) mode, I
would advise against it.  It is always best to let applications run in the
environments they were designed for.  In this case, Apex will be running on
a Hadoop cluster of your choice, and communicating with your web
application via REST APIs for Apex application management, monitoring, and
data visualizations.  This prevents your web application from becoming
overly complex, and allows Apache Apex to take advantage of its key
benefits like performance, scalability, and fault tolerance.

Thanks,
Sasha

On Sat, Jun 18, 2016 at 12:41 AM, Amol Jadhav <amol.jadhav33@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks Sasha, Ashwin and Sandesh for your reply.
>
> I have already downloaded Sandbox and successfully ran sample programs.
>
> DTGateway is the thing I am looking for. Thanks Sasha for pointing out.
>
> Now coming to the question asked by Ashwin,
>
> "When you say integration with web based application, are you thinking of
> running apex within your application? The reason I am asking is because
> Apex is an engine that runs on hadoop. You can send your web application
> data into the apex application using any of the input operators depending
> on the protocol. Can you specify more details for this communication?"
>
> Yes, my initial plan is to run Apex within my application. Is this
> possible? If yes, then how?
>
> From your question, it looks like, I need to keep Apex engine and my
> application separate ( on same machine or different machines) and
> communicate via standard protocol. Here it will be REST API as mentioned by
> Sasha.
>
> Am I correct?
>
>
> Thanks,
> Amol Jadhav
>
> On Sat, Jun 18, 2016 at 2:53 AM, Sandesh Hegde <sandesh@datatorrent.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello Amol
>>
>> How familiar are you with Apex? Hadoop?
>>
>> My recommendation is to start with the "Hello world" program.
>> http://docs.datatorrent.com/tutorials/topnwords/
>>
>> You can also download the Sandbox from the below location for your
>> experiments.
>> https://www.datatorrent.com/download/
>>
>> There are videos covering various topics,
>> https://www.youtube.com/user/DataTorrent/videos
>>
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 1:59 PM Ashwin Chandra Putta <
>> ashwinchandrap@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Amol,
>>>
>>> As Sasha mentioned, you can generate your metrics in the apex
>>> application and expose them through the gateway api for your dashboard.
>>>
>>> I have a few questions regarding the input data. When you say
>>> integration with web based application, are you thinking of running apex
>>> within your application? The reason I am asking is because Apex is an
>>> engine that runs on hadoop. You can send your web application data into the
>>> apex application using any of the input operators depending on the
>>> protocol. Can you specify more details for this communication?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Ashwin.
>>>
>>> On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 12:02 PM, Sasha Parfenov <sashap@apache.org>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>> A good starting point for such integrations to learn more about
>>>> functionalities of Gateway <http://docs.datatorrent.com/dtgateway/>
>>>> and REST API <http://docs.datatorrent.com/dtgateway_api/> it offers.
>>>> You can launch, manage, and get stats about Apex apps using Gateway API.
>>>>
>>>> For integrations with your own dashboards, if you would like to expose
>>>> simple custom metrics, you can start with AutoMetrics API
>>>> <http://apex.apache.org/docs/apex/autometrics/>.  And for more
>>>> advanced use cases, if you would like to query application data and see
>>>> custom results, you can follow the App Data framework
>>>> <http://docs.datatorrent.com/app_data_framework/> document.
>>>>
>>>> Let me know if you more specific questions about each one.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>> Sasha Parfenov
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 11:47 AM, Amol Jadhav <amol.jadhav33@gmail.com>
>>>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Hi,
>>>>>
>>>>> We are planning to use Apache Apex in our application for analytics.
>>>>> Input data will be coming from multiple sources. I have been assigned
to do
>>>>> a POC for this.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> My question:
>>>>>
>>>>> 1. How to integrate Apache Apex in my web based (Java+ J2EE)
>>>>> application
>>>>> 2. We have our own dashboard. The analytics result would be shown on
>>>>> our own dashboard.
>>>>> 3. Is there any specific framework to be used in our application to
>>>>> integrate Apex in our application.
>>>>>
>>>>> Could you please suggest any starting document for this?
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanking in advance.
>>>>> Regards,
>>>>> Amol Jadhav
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Ashwin.
>>>
>>
>

Mime
View raw message