apex-dev mailing list archives

From Vlad Rozov <vro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: checking dependencies for known vulnerabilities
Date Thu, 26 Oct 2017 07:08:41 GMT
There is a way to add an exception, but it needs to be discussed on a
case by case basis. Note that CVEs are not published until a fix is
available. For severity 8 CVEs I expect patches to become available for
the reported version unless it is an obsolete version in which case, the
upgrade to a supported version is already overdue.

I don't see how reporting helps. If a build succeeds, I don't expect
anyone to look into the report, it is only when CI build fails,
committers and reviewers look into the details.

IMO, it does not matter how CVE is introduced. It may be a new
dependency with an existing CVE or it can be a new CVE for an existing
dependency. In both cases, dependency with the CVE needs to be fixed.

Thank you,

Vlad

On 10/25/17 11:58, Pramod Immaneni wrote:
> Thanks that sounds mostly fine except what happens if there is a cve
> matching that severity in a dependency but it doesnt affect us because
> let's say we don't exercise that part of functionality *and* there isn't a
> fix available or there is a fix but the upgrade requires significant effort
> (for example if we need to move to a new major version of the dependency or
> something like that). Is there a way to add an exception like we did for
> checkstyle in the interim. How about reporting instead of failing the
> builds. One of the steps in release process could be to investigate these
> reports before proceeding with the release. If a PR introduces new cves by
> virtue of adding a new dependency or changing an existing version, that
> would be of interest and can be subject to failure. Is there a way to
> distinguish that?
>
> On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 8:52 AM Vlad Rozov <vrozov@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> A CVE (should there be a vulnerability in existing or a newly introduced
>> dependency) will not be exposed during the CI build, but the build will
>> fail if the CVE has severity 8 or above. To get the details, it will be
>> necessary to run dependency check manually.
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Vlad
>>
>> On 10/24/17 16:27, Pramod Immaneni wrote:
>>> There was a lot of discussion on this but looks like there was no final
>>> agreement. Can you summarize what your PR does? Are we disclosing the
>>> actual vulnerabilities as part of the automated build for every PR? That
>>> would be a no-no for me. If it is something that requires manual steps,
>> for
>>> example as part of a release build, that would be fine.

>> APEXCORE-790.

>> don't

>> (although a
>> community