apex-dev mailing list archives

From Vlad Rozov <vro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: following committer guideline when merging PR
Date Sat, 09 Sep 2017 00:35:31 GMT
I cited both, in my first email I cited steps for a committer as it is a
committer that verifies that a contribution meets a community
guidelines. In reply back to Sanjay proposal, I cited part of the
contribution guideline.

IMO, it is not that the wording around JIRA or any other part of the
contribution guidelines has an ambiguity, both clearly state that JIRA
must be updated by a contributor and if that was not done, it is a
committer responsibility to enforce the update before a PR is merged.

Thank you,

Vlad

On 9/8/17 16:29, Pramod Immaneni wrote:
> Vlad cited committer not contributor guidelines, maybe that is the source
> of the confusion. If the wording in the contribution guidelines on the
> website for contributor responsibilities around JIRA is the cause for the
> ambiguity, let's fix it.
>
> Thanks
>
> On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 1:21 PM, Sanjay Pujare <sanjay@datatorrent.com>
> wrote:
>
>> May be you can help clear the confusion for me. From the contribution
>> guidelines you cited, it looks like it is already the contributor's
>> responsibility to ensure all JIRA fields are correct and update them when
>> the PR is merged.
>>
>> But in your original email you cited apex-malhar PR 669 as an example where
>> the committer overlooked this responsibility. What am I missing?
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 1:01 PM, Vlad Rozov <vrozov@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Sanjay,
>>>
>>> Please feel free to propose changes to the existing Apex contribution
>>> guidelines, but prior to doing that I'd strongly recommend all community
>>> members at least to review what already exists and to follow the
>> guidelines
>>> [1]. Additionally, it will be good that the community members understand
>>> how Apache Apex contribution and release processes work, and not simply
>>> engage in voting without engaging into discussion and following existing
>>> guidelines. All this is an indication that except for few individuals the
>>> community is not mature and independent.
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>>
>>> Vlad
>>>
>>> [1] http://apex.apache.org/contributing.html
>>>
>>> "Before starting work, have a JIRA assigned to yourself. If you want to
>>> work on a ticket that is assigned to someone else, send a courtesy e-mail
>>> to the assignee to check if you can take it over. Confirm type, priority
>>> and other JIRA fields (often default values are not the best fit)."

PR

This