apex-dev mailing list archives

From Vlad Rozov <vro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] inactive PR
Date Sat, 23 Sep 2017 23:46:00 GMT
On 9/23/17 11:07, Pramod Immaneni wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 23, 2017 at 9:11 AM, Vlad Rozov <vrozov@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Closing PR does not mean that the work submitted for a review is lost. It
>> is preserved on a contributor fork. All comments and discussion are also
>> preserved and PR can be re-open if/when a contributor have time to look
>> into it.
>>
> Closed PRs don't show up in the main list, folks will typically not go into
> the closed PR list. Items in the main list could catch someone's attention.
For items in the main list to catch someone's attention it is necessary
to have some activity on the PR. Why a committer will look into a stale
PR where an action item is on a contributor side? In case somebody wants
to look into inactive PR and take the ownership of it, will it be better
to look into closed and not merged PRs?

> PR can be closed by any committer who was involved into the discussion with
>> a proper comment.
>
>> It is 1 month of inactivity on the PR. Note that PR review is also done
>> during spare time and recollecting what happened on an inactive PR after 3
>> month or a year requires extra time/effort from a committer and everyone
>> who were involved into the review.
>>
> Yes, referring to the same. This would not apply in the usual cases but
> would be the maximum time period in case of inactivity. One month can
> easily pass if you are distracted with something, it has happened to me a
> few times for example when something comes up at work. One month seems
> short, draconian and unnecessary. A longer time period is needed. While it
> might take some extra effort from the reviewer and/or contributor it does
> not pose an undue burden, they can quickly come upto speed looking at the
> PR log. If the PR were closed and reopened it would be the same. Worse if
> the PR was closed and a new PR were opened for the same code, the old log
> would probably not show up and then we need additional guidelines to link
> the old one, so the concerns raised earlier are still addressed.
If a contributor is distracted with something and does not have time to
address review comments, will it be better for the contributor to close
the PR him/herself as a courtesy to reviewers? PR is supposed to be open
when a code contribution is ready for others to take a look and provide
feedback.

There is nothing draconian in closing inactive PR. Closing PR is not an
irreversible action - all it says is that a contributor needs time to
work on the PR and is not actively working on it. I feel that 1 month is
good enough, you think that 3 month is necessary, can we agree on 2 month?