apex-dev mailing list archives

From Vlad Rozov <vro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] inactive PR
Date Sun, 24 Sep 2017 21:56:05 GMT
If a PR is closed due to inactivity and a contributor fails to remember
that he/she open a PR in the past, what is the chance that a committer
can recollect what was discussed on a PR (whether it stays open or is
closed) that was inactive for 2-3 month :)? IMO, we should try to
optimize process for good community members (those who follow
contributor guidelines) and not those who do not follow.

Thank you,

Vlad

On 9/24/17 09:29, Pramod Immaneni wrote:
>> On Sep 24, 2017, at 9:21 AM, Thomas Weise <thw@apache.org> wrote:

>>> collaboration.
>>> sitting
>>> by

>>> Please refer to my email again, I am not against closing PR if there is
>>> inactivity. My issue is with the time period. In reality, most people will
>>> create new PRs instead of reopening old ones and the old context/comments
>>> will be forgotten and not addressed.
>>>

>> Why will contributors open new PRs even in cases where changes are
>> requested on an open PR? Because it is not documented or reviewers don't
>> encourage the proper process? We should solve that problem.
> In cases where PR was closed due to inactivity and the contributor comes back later to
work on it, they are likely going to create a new PR as opposed to finding the closed one
and reopening it. The guidelines can include proper process but most likely this is one of
those things that will require checking on the committers part.