apex-dev mailing list archives

From Sergey Golovko <ser...@datatorrent.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Major version change for Apex Library (Malhar)
Date Wed, 23 Aug 2017 22:17:20 GMT
-1 for the option 2

I don't think it makes sense to rush to rename the package name. There are
Apache Java projects that use the original package names after migration to
Apache Software Foundation. For instance,

Apache Felix <https://projects.apache.org/project.html?felix> (org.osgi)
Apache Groovy <https://projects.apache.org/project.html?groovy> (groovy)

Personally I don't like the idea to rename package names for any existing
tools and applications. It can just be a big confusion for users without
any real benefits.

-1 for the option 1

I see only one valid reason to change the major version now. It is the full
refactoring of the code without supporting of any backward compatibility.
If we are going to make the package refactoring we need to change the major
version. If we are not going to do it now, it does not make sense to
change the major version. I don't think it makes sense to vote for the two
options separately.

Thanks,
Sergey