apex-dev mailing list archives

From Chinmay Kolhatkar <chin...@datatorrent.com>
Subject Package tarball as deliverable of apex-core
Date Tue, 08 Aug 2017 03:04:50 GMT
Dear Community,

Currently Apache Apex does not have a deliverable tarball which bundles the
dependent jars and apex cli which user can just download and get started
with.

Having this would be also be useful for current integration with Apache
Bigtop as well. Currently in bigtop, the bigtop build downloads the src tar
and builds the packages from it. Ideally the bigtop build should just
download the deliverable tarball (containing packaged dependency for cli
for ready to use).

Also, one of the output of bigtop rpm/deb goes in docker image of apache
apex. The Dockerfile for the same resides in my public repository.

Considering above I have following proposals:
1. Create a new deliverable tarball in apex-core which will bundle all
required and sufficient dependencies for user to quickly get started on an
existing hadoop cluster.

2. Once we have the deliverable available in next apex-core release, we can
update apache/bigtop to point to use that tarball.

3. There is also a docker image for apache/apex, the Dockerfile for which
resides in https://github.com/chinmaykolhatkar/docker-pool. I would prefer
if this is moved to apex-core repository so that the releases of docker and
apex-core can be aligned better and also become part of Apache repo.

Please share your opinion on this.

Thanks,
Chinmay.