apex-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Weise <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] changing project name to apex-library
Date Sun, 27 Aug 2017 22:16:46 GMT
On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 12:37 PM, Pramod Immaneni <pramod@datatorrent.com>
wrote:

> I think there is a general consensus
> with 4.0, the additional concern/ask from community I believe, is because
> of the divergence as things go forward, to not burden the contributor from
> having to submit the PR to both master and release-3 and to relax the
> restriction by allowing submissions to go into release-3 without requiring
> they go into master. This would be different from what we do today.

It is not a "concern/ask from community". It was a demand made by an
individual. We cannot confuse a specific individual or a specific company
with "community". By looking at discussion, voting and affiliation, I would
in fact argue that it can be seen as attempt to control the project by a
vendor, that runs afoul project independence.

I don't see why changes should not be submitted to master as it is done
now. Since you already say that only a few changes would be difficult to
cherry-pick/port, such cases can be considered as exceptions.

Thomas