apex-dev mailing list archives

From Pramod Immaneni <pra...@datatorrent.com>
Subject license issue for APEXMALHAR-2366
Date Thu, 25 May 2017 22:45:43 GMT
Hi,

The PR 521 <https://github.com/apache/apex-malhar/pull/521> for
APEXMALHAR-2366, <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/APEXMALHAR-2366>
uses a modified version of a utility class available in hadoop, here
<https://github.com/apache/hadoop/blob/trunk/hadoop-common-project/hadoop-common/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/util/bloom/BloomFilter.java>.
This utility carries two licences, one a regular one from ASF and a second
one from European Commission (EC). Both are listed in the source and the EC
one is listed in the hadoop project LICENSE file as well, here
<https://github.com/apache/hadoop/blob/trunk/LICENSE.txt>.

Before you ask, I see that there were discussions on the PR on looking for
suitable alternatives and this was still the outcome. I was not a party to
those discussions and just helping bring it to a conclusion as the original
author is no longer engaged with it.

I think it should be safe to include it following the same model hadoop is
following in including the license in the source code and the project
LICENSE file. I wanted to get the feedback from the community as well.

Thanks