apex-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Weise <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: old versions in https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/apex/
Date Mon, 08 May 2017 13:39:16 GMT
I think the goal of the archival policy is to prevent unlimited growth of
releases in the dist folder, not to impose a narrow definition of "under
development". Looking at the releases available for other projects, I don't
think there is any issue considering the last two release branches "under
development".

Thanks

On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 5:30 PM, Vlad Rozov <v.rozov@datatorrent.com> wrote:

> I would consider Hadoop to be in violation of [2 <
> http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#when-to-archive>]. IMO,
> we don't need to violate it and should have links to the latest core and
> malhar only.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Vlad
>

> On 5/7/17 08:59, Pramod Immaneni wrote:
>
>> The policy reads we should only have "*the latest release in each branch
>> that is currently under development". *That most probably means only the
>> latest version for core and malhar as we are not doing active development
>> on multiple branches. However, could it be loosely interpreted to include
>> older release branches that are still being maintained and fixes made to?
>> Hadoop, for example still has all 2.6.x and 2.7.x in svn
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/hadoop/common/ and I mostly
>> see
>> maintenance fixes for the latest on those branches. Would that be
>> considered a violation, if strictly going with the wording of the policy?
>>
>> If we wanted to keep links to even older releases, that are still in wide
>> use but not being actively maintained, we could point to archives like you
>> mentioned. However, I don't think we have this situation.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 7:39 PM, Vlad Rozov <v.rozov@datatorrent.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Should we limit [1 <https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/apex/>] to
>>> the latest core and the latest malhar according to [2 <
>>> http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#when-to-archive>] and
>>> point links for older releases on the download page to [3 <
>>> http://archive.apache.org/dist/apex/>] according to [4 <
>>> http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#how-to-archive>]?
>>>
>>> Unless we plan to delete release-3.2, release-3.3 and other branches, I'd
>>> prefer to keep 3.2.2, 3.3.1 and other unreleased patch versions in JIRA.
>>> As
>>> long as those branches exist, it should be possible to see which JIRAs
>>> were
>>> fixed there.
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>>
>>> Vlad