apex-dev mailing list archives

From Amol Kekre <a...@datatorrent.com>
Subject Re: Why does emit require current thread to be the operator thread?
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2017 19:45:48 GMT
Ilya,
This constraint was introduced as allowing two threads to emit data creates
lots of bad situations
1. The emit is triggered between end_window and begin_window. This was a
critical blocker
2. Order no longer guaranteed, upon replay getting wrong order of events
within a window. This was something to worry about, but not a blocker

We had users report this problem.

The solution is to pass the data to main thread and have the main thread
emit this data during one of start-window, process, end-window calls.
Ideally during start-window or end-window so as to guarantee order. Keeping
this code in start or end window also ensures that process call remains
optimal.

Thks
Amol

E:amol@datatorrent.com | M: 510-449-2606 | Twitter: @*amolhkekre*