apex-dev mailing list archives

From Bhupesh Chawda <bhup...@datatorrent.com>
Subject Re: APEXCORE-619 Recovery windowId in future during application relaunch.
Date Thu, 02 Mar 2017 10:10:31 GMT
What if all operators complete first checkpoints but the stateless operator
could not cross the first checkpoint window, and the DAG crashed.
If we try to figure out the recovery checkpoint now, we might conclude that
checkpoint 1 is the point to start and we may miss some data getting
processed by the stateless operator. Probably in this case at-least once is
also not guaranteed?

~ Bhupesh

Bhupesh Chawda

E: bhupesh@datatorrent.com | Twitter: @bhupeshsc

www.datatorrent.com  |  apex.apache.org

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 8:06 AM, Thomas Weise <thw@apache.org> wrote:

> Dummy checkpoints, continuously writing committed window id and the like
> all introduce overhead that is probably not needed.
>
> All the information to derive what we need is likely available and IMO the
> discussion should be on what is the correct way of using it. I will have a
> look when I get to it as well.
>
> Thanks,
> Thomas
>

> On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 6:29 PM, Sandesh Hegde <sandesh@datatorrent.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Instead of treating the stateless operator in a special way and missing
> > corner cases, just have a dummy checkpoint, then there is no need to
> handle
> > corner cases.
> >
> > There is a name for this solution,
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Null_Object_pattern
> >

> > On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 2:52 PM Pramod Immaneni <pramod@datatorrent.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > There is code in various places that deals with stateless operators in
> > > special way even though a physical checkpoint does not exist on the
> disk.
> > > It is probably a matter of applying similar thought process/logic
> > correctly
> > > here.

> of
> > i.e