apex-dev mailing list archives

From Tushar Gosavi <tus...@datatorrent.com>
Subject Re: empty operator/stream/module names
Date Fri, 05 Aug 2016 05:17:37 GMT
When we need to change plan dynamically through dtcli, we need name to
delete or attach to existing operator/port. I am fine with using
system generated name when user do not provide name while adding
operator/module/stream.

-Tushar.

On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 10:33 PM, Sanjay Pujare <sanjay@datatorrent.com> wrote:
> I differ. For the UI to render a DAG the names are useful, but if the name is not required
by the engine i.e. the engine is able to execute your application fine with empty or null
strings as names, is there any reason to make them mandatory?

> On the other hand, we can come up with a scheme for system generated names when the caller
doesn’t provide a name. I have some ideas.