apex-dev mailing list archives

From Pramod Immaneni <pra...@datatorrent.com>
Subject Re: Malhar contribution guidelines
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2016 23:31:19 GMT
Hi Sanjay,

Thanks for the feedback. My comments inline.

On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 2:37 PM, Sanjay Pujare <sanjay@datatorrent.com>
wrote:

> Hi Pramod
>
> Very useful document. Some questions/comments from me (sorry for any newbie
> comments):
>
> - for the "Update an Existing Operator" section, are there any backward
> compatibility constraints one should be aware of?

Yes the public and protected methods need to be preserved if they are not
evolving operators. There is a semantic versioning check that happens
during the build process, which ensures that these constraints are not
violated. I will add these to the guidelines.

> - it will be very useful to have each guideline illustrated by an actual
> example (e.g. an example of combining 2 or more operators in a module,
> initialization and teardown cases in
> constructor/setup/beginWindow/endWindow/deactivate/teardown etc)

I think those would be best suited for the operator developer guide. The
guidelines are meant to be used as a primer.

> - should the guidelines say something about unit tests and how unit tests
> should typically be written for operators (also include other kinds of
> automated tests in-case "unit" testing is difficult)

Good point, will add a section on that.

> - didn't find any references to WindowedOperator anywhere (but did find
> WindowedStream). Will be good to have hyperlinks for all references

David would probably work on that as he is working on the implementation.
The comment was forward looking.

> - java 1.8/1.7 compatibility requirement?

1.7 is a general requirement we have for the platform and should be
mentioned elsewhere in the docs. Not sure if we need to mention it
specifically in this document.

> - with respect to "...only the data for the first input port..." , how is
> "first" input port determined?

The first declared port, changed to mention that specifically.