apex-dev mailing list archives

From Chaitanya Chebolu <chaita...@datatorrent.com>
Subject Re: Inner Join Operator Using Managed State
Date Wed, 18 May 2016 06:30:56 GMT
Chandni,

   JoinStore is an interface and consists of following methods:
1) boolean put(Object key, long time, Object value) => Insert (Key, Value)
pair into the store.
2) List<> getTuples(Object key) => Return the list of values from store to
which the specified key is mapped.

   JoinStore is a plug-able to the join operator. Below properties exposed
from join operator:
JoinStore leftStore, rightStore.

By default, leftStore & rightStore would be the Join Store using spillable
data-structures over ManagedState. If the user wants to integrate different
store, he/she has to implements the JoinStore and set it to the Join
operator.

Tim,

   I am not planning any different implementation.
   Here, I proposed to plug the SpillableArrayListMultiMap/SplillableMap
over managed state. I think this is what you are developing. Please correct
it, if I am wrong.

Regards,
Chaitanya

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 11:24 PM, Timothy Farkas <
timothytiborfarkas@gmail.com> wrote:

> Chaitanya,
>
> Are you planning to use the SpillableMap and SpillableArrayListMultiMap
> that are in development, or separate implementations? If you are planning
> on using separate implementations can you please explain why they are
> needed?
>
> Thanks,
> Tim
>
> On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 10:36 AM, Chaitanya Chebolu <
> chaitanya@datatorrent.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Chandni,
> >
> >   I am suggesting two stores and categorized those based on key type:
> > (1) If the key is Primary Key then store would be ManagedJoinStore or
> Join
> > store using SpillableMap.
> > (2) If the key is not the Primary Key then store would be Join store
> using
> > SpillableArrayListMultiMap.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Chaitanya
> >
> > On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 10:46 PM, Chandni Singh <singh.chandni@gmail.com
> >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Chaitanya,
> > >
> > > In the last discussion, we decided that for Join operation we needed
> the
> > > Spillable DataStructures- specifically SpillableArrayListMultiMap for
> the
> > > Join Operator.
> > >
> > > Tim had created a ticket APEXMALHAR-2070 to address this.  The pull
> > request
> > > for an in-memory implementation already exists:
> > > https://github.com/apache/incubator-apex-malhar/pull/262
> > >
> > > As commented on the ticket, Tim is working on the implementation of
> > > SpillableArrayListMultiMap which uses ManagedState.
> > >
> > > The ManagedJoinStore seems to me like a duplicate of these spoilable
> data
> > > structure. I think we should avoid creating multiple things that
> provide
> > > the same basic functionality.
> > >
> > > Can you please help review the spillable data structures pull request
> and
> > > point out what you will need for Join that is missing there?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Chandni

> mohit@datatorrent.com>

> be