apex-dev mailing list archives

From Sandeep Deshmukh <sand...@datatorrent.com>
Subject Re: NFS Input Module
Date Thu, 05 May 2016 18:21:26 GMT
I do agree with Amol on having clear and explicit modules. This is more
from an end user perspective. For someone who is new to Apex, having
separate NFS, HDFS, FTP, etc would make lot more sense than one generic FS
module. However small change these modules may have, like just couple of
small functions, I would like to have them separate for the end user.

It is finally about the perspective and the user experience :)

Regards,
Sandeep

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 8:48 PM, Thomas Weise <thomas@datatorrent.com> wrote:

> I don't think we should name something NFS* when it isn't specific to NFS.
> It is just like any other local FS for this purpose and that's already
> covered by the Hadoop file system abstraction.
>
> Why can't a single FS Input module accommodate all of this. Once you know
> the FS URL, you can automatically optimize the configuration, if
> appropriate.
>
> Thanks,
> Thomas
>

> On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 12:08 AM, Chaitanya Chebolu <
> chaitanya@datatorrent.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Chandni,
> >
> >   Its a good point. I created the hierarchy based on user perspective and
> > especially for non Java users. If I return FileSplitter and BlockReader
> > from FS Input Module, then this module works for NFS. But, for users
> > perspective it would be difficult, whether this module works for NFS or
> any
> > other fileSystem.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Chaitanya
> >
> > On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 11:05 AM, Chandni Singh <chandni@datatorrent.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I am sorry Chaitanya but I have more questions about this
> > >
> > > 1. why is the FS Input Module abstract when by default it can return
> > > FileSplitter & BlockReader in com.datatorrent.lib.io.fs?
> > >  These implementations are not specific to NFS.
> > >
> > > 2. In the NFS module that you have suggested to create, what is
> specific
> > > NFS?
> > >
> > > Please note: I have created a ticket APEXMALHAR-2081 to remove
> > > FSFileSplitter from library and move its feature to the base operator.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Chandni

> com.datatorrent.lib.io.fs

> > singh.chandni@gmail.com>