apex-dev mailing list archives

From Ashwin Chandra Putta <ashwinchand...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Naming: STRAM and StreamingContainer
Date Tue, 08 Mar 2016 01:37:25 GMT
Valid point about the Operator being abstraction for business logic, it is
the Node object that executes the business logic in the Operator.

However, just by having the main method in the class does not make it a
worker, the app master also has a main method. StreamingContainer is a
handler that spawns up a thread per Node object corresponding to each
operator in the container, the node object in turn executes the work in the
corresponding operator.

So the StreamingContainer by itself is not a worker, I would rather call it
a Handler or a Manager. Or even call it a SubMaster within a container and
then call Node object as Worker.

Regards,
Ashwin.

On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 4:12 PM, Chandni Singh <chandni@datatorrent.com>
wrote:

> Isn't operator the entity that performs the actual work/task?
>
> I don't think so. Operator is an abstraction for business logic. It is not
> the class with the main method. The main class here is the
> StreamingContainer which will executes the business logic provided in the
> operator.
>
> Chandni
>
> On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 3:58 PM, Ashwin Chandra Putta <
> ashwinchandrap@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Isn't operator the entity that performs the actual work/task? From what I
> > know, the StreamingContainer is more of a handler of operators within the
> > container.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ashwin.
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 3:26 PM, Chandni Singh <chandni@datatorrent.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > How about calling StreamingContainer as
> > ApexWorkerHandler/ApexWorkerManager
> > > as it is possible that there can be multiple operators within a
> container
> > > and each operator by itself is a worker.
> > >
> > >  IMO an operator is not a worker. At least we haven't been calling it a
> > > 'Worker' so far.
> > > Apex worker corresponds to a child container and can run multiple
> > operators
> > > if that is the case.
> > >
> > > Chandni

> > > ApexWorkerHandler/ApexWorkerManager